Thursday, February 12, 2009

Clint's Name

I have been asked a couple of times about Clinton's name, and the origin thereof, so I've decided to post about it.

We decided long ago that Baby Boy #1, if such a person ever came into our lives, would carry on Craig's middle name, Allen. This was actually determined before I became part of the Cox family because this name has been in Craig's family for...ever. It belonged to his maternal grandfather, whom he loved dearly and respected very much. A.C. (Allen Conner) Kirk passed away when Craig was 11, but he and his family still talk about him often and fondly. He was a man of great integrity, and I am happy that our son will carry his name.

The name "Allen" actually goes back further than Craig's grandfather, though. Allen Albritton came over with Captain John Smith, one of the first settlers in the "New Land."

With the middle name decided, we considered some other family names we could use for a first name. Clinton Rutherford is my maternal grandfather, and not only did we like how the names sounded together, we love the fact that our little boy will represent both sides of his family by sporting the names of two of his great-grandfathers, men we have always loved and respected. I was proud to call my Grandpa and tell him the good news last week!

Thus, Clinton Allen Cox. We've had this name in our back pockets, but as soon as we found out he was a he, we assigned part of his identity with this name. We feel like Clint's name will take him from childhood to adulthood seamlessly.

3 comments:

Doziers said...

I absolutely love the name!! We are all going to absolutely love the little man!

Amanda said...

i love it!!!!

Rob and Lynda said...

While I think his name is great, I am offended that you didn't consider naming Clint after me (what about Lyndon?). Oh well, there's always the next boy...