Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Day Trips

On Valentine's Day, Craig and I hit the road and headed to the Houston Ship Channel (area). We ate at Brady's Landing. They had a buffet, which was nice, but what really made it worth the trip was that there was also a dessert buffet! Give a pregnant womanseveral different chocolate options, and multiple plates on Valentine's Day, and you have made her very happy! (Besides the dozen eggs (of the Cadbury variety) that her husband gathered.) After lunch, we went to the San Jacinto Monument and the Battleship Texas. We didn't get on the ship, since it had started to rain, and one of us didn't want the other one of us to fall on the steep, slippery stairs. But we'll definitely take Clint back there when he is bigger (and born). Craig went when he was a kid, and absolutely loved it! What's not to love? It is a big black ship with cannons all over it!!!

After we left there, Craig took me on a romantic cruise on the Lynchburg Ferry, and then we headed home.


On my flex day last Friday, 2/20/09, Craig took the day off, as well, and we took a little mini-vacation. We slept in just a little, and headed out of town around 9am. We went to Luling City Market in Luling, TX, for lunch. Mmmm...ribs.... From there, we went to San Marcos to do some shopping. We're not big shoppers, so we rely on our annual trip to San Marcos to restock our wardrobes. We both picked up some things we needed, and and few things that Clinton really needs, like an outfit that has a bear hiking, and it says, "Little Camper." How appropriate!! He can't wear it for two years, but it will be waiting patiently for him when he is ready, though I know he will have already gone camping by that time!!! He'll be a pro by then!

After a couple hours of shopping, and maybe maybe just a tiny little milkshake from Johnny Rockets, we headed to Gruene, TX, to eat at the Gristmill. Yum!!! Gruene is a special place for us because that is where we spent a weekend together (with a bunch of other people) when we first started dating. We were both training for the MS 150, and we had a training ride in New Braunfels one weekend. It was on that ride, about 2 miles in, that my lungs and I decided I would not be riding in the actual race in April. Our team captain's sister lived in New Braunfels, so we all stayed at their house and rode out from their driveway for the ride. It was that night that we were introduced to Historic Gruene, Texas. Down the street from "town", there is a little bridge that crosses the Guadalupe River. In "town", there is a General Store, an antique store, the Gristmill (where this kiss occurred), and of course, Texas' oldest dance hall, Gruene Hall. Every time we go to Gruene, we hit all of these places, plus a few others along the way. We try to get over there every year, at least. It is familiar, but far enough away from home to relax and enjoy.

I hope you enjoyed my nostalgic moment. By the way, here we are at the Gristmill on our honeymoon.

We drove back from Gruene that same night. Ok, Craig drove, and I might have slept just a little bit. It was such a nice day, and believe it or not, we actually took pictures while we were there. I'll have to add them later, since I am at work (lunch break) right now. (See, I came through.)

2 comments:

The Oliverios said...

Clint will fit in that outfit before you know it! They grow up so fast! Can't wait to meet him! Love, Aunt Jenn

YiaYiaHowell said...

I'm enjoying so much reading your blog. It's fun to catch up with the soon-to-be-parents of Clinton Allen. (oooo, did I spell his middle name right? I can't go back and look or I'll lose all these words. hahahaha) I can't wait to see you on Saturday. Have your tightest top on so I can see Clint right out front, OK?